Monday, September 6, 2010

First Post

Welcome and thank you for taking a look at my first blog post. Writing was never my strongest subject in school but I guess it's the way word gets around - especially since this Internet thing is here to stay. So here it is and please bear with me.

My high school algebra teacher had above the chalkboard, in big blocky letters, "Truth in Mathematics Mean Consistency". It took a few months of that class for the full meaning of that to set in, but it's there for good. It means that if a common answer can be found through several different strategies, it is most likely true.

This is my idea for this blog. To gather ideas and concepts from many different experiences to help us uncover the underlining truths, or principles, of cross country ski training and techniques. I'll present a subject and my own thoughts and reasons and I hope that others will present theirs' in the comment section. Please suggest other subjects to dive into as well. Hopefully this will all be worthwhile, but in case we need guidelines to do this, here are some suggestions:

1. Be constructive. If you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem.

2. Be accurate. Exaggeration and half truths leads nowhere.

3. Be humble. Rest on your evidence instead of your ego.

Others?


Warning. What I or anyone else writes shouldn't be taken as gospel. The only claim I'll make is that I think a lot about how we train and the techniques that we use.

Anonymity. I believe in the value of anonymity because I believe that it promotes open dialogue. Even more, the weight of a comment's argument will depend on it's own merit. Still, you are more than welcome to use your real name.

If you are interested in getting down to the truths of cross country ski training and technique - and willing to do so professionally, please stick around!


The first subject, which I hope to make another post this week on, will be on interpreting H.C. Holmberg's "Biomechanical Analysis of Double Poling of Elite Cross-Country Skiers" paper. Scroll down the linked page to find the "Double Poling Article" PDF. It's some thick reading but it's really interesting - at least to nerds like me.

2 comments:

  1. Dude Strabel, what are your thoughts on double push?

    http://www.nordicskiracer.com/news.asp?NewsID=1669

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76vvqEqOIbE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick,

    First, we should take into account the differences between the speed skating double push and the skiing double push. What has been proven in speed skating competition, that the double push can be advantageous, still has a long way to go in skiing. First, the speed skater is able to have a lower center of gravity (so farther reach with the legs) and a narrower "ski". These two characteristics enable a significant horizontal displacement between the skater's center of mass and the point of contact on the ice easier than that of a skier. In other words, it is especially difficult for a skier to position their center of mass far enough to the outside of the ski to make any kind of push from the outside edge of the ski significant. It is this horizontal displacement that allows significant horizontal propulsion.

    Secondly, the linked study doesn't isolate the double push in contrast to the regular one-skate (or V2). I'm referring to the flight phase that was used with the double push but not with the one-skate. I believe this was a significant error in the design of the study since having a flight phase can be incorporated in either technique. My experience tells me that incorporating this flight time (including repositioning skis) with a regular one-skate definitely has it's advantages over a short maximal effort.

    So in a nutshell, more study and evidence is needed of the double push application in skiing, but I am skeptical.

    ReplyDelete